Q: What has The Wizard of Oz got to do with Tennis?
A: Character Building and never forgetting to “Believe in Yourself!“
- Most people have the qualities to be successful in anything they do, but only by experiences in life are these character traits ever developed and used.
- That is why so many people believe that it is adversity, not prosperity that breeds success.
- Here at Sydney Private Tennis Academy, we put our students in situations or circumstances that develop these qualities.
- They include the ability to think and concentrate when under pressure, intensity of effort, relaxed focus, dedication, discipline, determination and desire (the 4 Rs); courage, patience, composure, persistence, initiative and resourcefulness; passion and loyalty.
- This is achieved where each person is placed in an exaggerated situation where they need these qualities in greater quantity to reach their ultimate goal, survive or achieve what they truly desire.
- With this comes with a better understanding of their purpose in life.
- By coping with intensity and pressure that is sweetened by the fun, excitement and challenge of their favourite activity; like playing a great sport, including Tennis.
- Due to genetics and a persons upbringing in the early years, which one has no control over, different people may develop at different times in their life and acquire various character traits to varying degrees. This is why some people need more or less assistance at different times.
- Most of us have heard of the popular story and movie called “The Wizard of Oz,” where the Tinman seeks a heart, the Scarecrow a brain and the Lion believes he is a coward and badly needs to find some courage.
- They survive the ordeal of finding the Wizard and the attacks of the Wicked Witch of the West. Their characters are put to the test. In their bid to help Dorothy, whom they come to love with great passion, the 3 heroes develop all the skills and character traits they are searching for and , survive, save Dorothy’s dog Toto and reach the Wizard.
- Dorothy shows great patience and determination and dedication to their cause and acts as the catalyst and in many ways a teacher and mentor to the trio.
- Dorothy, the Scarecrow the Tinman and the Lion gain every character trait and good human qualities from the true to life experiences of adventure and endeavour.
- Their gifts are earned without pain because they are rewarded with brains, heart and courage without even knowing they had earned them in their adventure.
- Due to their love and consideration for each other the four characters set goals together and conquer them. Having lived their dream, the three heroes find the answer to all their questions.
- They had learned to Believe in Themselves!
BELIEVE IN YOURSELF!
- Overcoming our greatest fears, setting goals and achieving them are among the most satisfying, enjoyable and healthy activities in life.
- This process is necessary build a strong, rich and resourceful individual capable of getting through the many obstacles, ordeals, problems and disappointments in life.
- One must be abled to enjoy life, love, happiness, ecstasy, success, winning, excitement, and fun yet also live through and accept injustice, defeat, failure, uncertainty, pain, sadness, despair, loneliness and death.
- The answer to all this lies in believing in yourself, resourcefulness and the strength of mind to combat every possible situation that can arise in the many twists and turns of life.
- Only the toughest will survive.
- So Mental Toughness, a key word in life, especially in a demanding sport like tennis, is something we identify, teach and develop in every student and staff member.
We insist that each generation of students evolves with a great attitude and passes this character building experience and knowledge down to the next wave of students; creating and always improving our recipe to guide others to achieve everything we ever dream about.
- Our philosophy is that if you are positive, have the desire and never give up on your dream, you will attract and achieve the dream you hold in your mind.
- As a team, we can make our dreams come true. Don’t forget that patience, forgiveness and tolerance are valuable qualities too in character. Life is a process of birth, growing up and then growing more and more and more.
- We all make mistakes, learn from them and if given the opportunity will mature and prosper.
- Everyone deserves a second chance.
Kerry Dock Founder (December 2000)